Tldr; Collection of VC investment thesis that has been made public
The VC world is murky. The innards rarely see light. I just had an advisory call with some chaps setting up a fund and they asked about fund structuring (not the first time). When I mentioned ‘This is not something you can Google.’ They laughed and said ‘yeah, we know!’ Every time I have a beer with a VC friend and chat about their fund structure the pattern is pretty much ‘It depends on where your LPs are, it’s complicated, talk to a lawyer.‘
The startup funding process used to be as opaque, but in the early 2000s bloggers such as Venture Hacks, Fred Wilson and the like started explaining everything including term sheets.
The VC/LP world has not taken to sharing with the other kids in the sandbox. Indeed, there are very few blogs from LPs. Chris Douvos’s is the only one I have found as of yet. He is very eloquent and I highly recommend reading it.
In an attempt to better understand VCs, I set out to read their investment thesis’ in 2015. One would think this would be the most basic thing.
VCs expect every founder reaching out to them to understand what they invest in, so surely they would do the service of spelling it out? Providing a veneer of academic rigour can easily be illustrated by displaying their investment thesis. Only, you would be wrong.
Having scoured the internet I have only been able to accumulate a handful. If I had this problem, I felt others no doubt would too. So like the VC pitch deck collection and startup pitch deck collection, I created one for VC investment thesis’.
If you have one to share, kindly ping me at [email protected] and I’ll add it. Cheers.
- Investment Memos for VC Interviews
- Thesis-driven early-stage Investing
- 16 mobile theses by Benedict Evans at a16z
- Stay In Your Overlaps
- Venture Capital Disintermediation is Coming
- HaaS – An Investment Thesis for Hardware Startups
- Investment Thesis Fundamentals by Dave McClure
- A VC explains VC’s “Investment Thesis” video from Scale Venture Partners
- Technology Waves and the Hypernet
- Notes On Early Stage Technology Investing; Art, Science, or Both?
- Building A Venture Capital Firm Is A Marathon, Not A Sprint by Sapphire Ventures
- Venture Funds as Products. What We Changed for Homebrew III. There are a bunch of interesting insights in this
VC Investment Thesis Collection
Get in the game
Free tools and resources like this shipped to you as they happen.