The 50Folds SaaS financial model is the most comprehensive and powerful excel model available for SaaS founders. Nothing else comes close. If you are looking to impress investors with a thoughtful plan, this is it. And even better, it’s just been updated.
How long did it take you to build this? It’s incredible!
Investor at Insight Venture Partners
Whether you’re raising for your SaaS startup, or needing to develop an operational plan to understand how you are going to grow and not run out of cash, you need an excel model. The problem is that they’re really hard to build. You don’t have time to spend 2 months building one, you need to be executing. Paying someone smart to build one can cost $10k+ which is crazy. There has to be a better way!
I needed a SaaS model to raise for one of my companies and there was nothing around. Chris Janz did a fab job making a nice, simple model, but it’s great for learning, or the basis to build something you can actually use (If you know how…). David Skok’s blog and metric templates are the best around to learn, but there is no model. I found around 5 others which weren’t bad, but just really limited in terms of functionality. These doesn’t solve the problem of just having something which just works and gets you back to building your MRR (Which actually matters). This is the model I wish existed.
Below we will look at the high level features of the model, there’s a video on each of the sheets and some further descriptions. There is also a benchmarks SlideShare I have added on all your key metrics.
Download the SaaS financial model now
The SaaS financial model is available now for ONE WEEK at just $149. This is a monster discount from the usual price of $300.
Click to get fundraise ready immediately:
Screenshots of the model
Video guides to the sheets
Note the model has been updated to be even better!
P&L Combined and P&L for Pitch deck
Source and Use
MRR Revenue Forecast assumptions
Annual Revenue Forecast Calculations
Staff and Expenses Forecast
COGS Expense Calculations
Tax and Depreciation
Paid and Organic Marketing
Blog and Social Media Marketing
Benchmarking for your financial model
This is a fantastic presentation to use when forecasting in your financial model and making sure your metrics are in line with reality. Flick through the deck as you work through each section of the model and check you are trending towards these numbers. It’s perfectly ok for your numbers to look a little crazy in the early days (When you have a few customers and little revenue, no metrics/ratios will make sense). What matters is how you evolve.
How the SaaS financial model was built
The SaaS financial model is a combination of the best aspects of multiple exceptional fundraising models which have closed single and double digit $ VC rounds, and learnings over many years of model building. All the learnings from top tier VCs have been included (The KPIs and charts they want to see). The best approaches have been combined and improved upon to deliver the definite model for founders who are going to execute big results.
We’ve drawn on our years of experience operating startups at early and growth stage to create something that just works. There is not a needless level of detail, nor a sparsity of assumptions to illustrate a depth of logic and insight. Everything included has been considered as to whether it adds value and if investors will “want to know and ask.” The structure also enables founders to change the model to fit the exact needs of their startup (particularly in revenue forecasting).
Who this is for
Are you building the next top SaaS startup? Need to provide a AAA SaaS financial model for Venture Capitalists to secure a big round or just understand your operational requirement in detail for strategic planning? Do you need a detailed model to understand every key aspect of your business? This is it.
This model is for all SaaS companies that have a non-enterprise business model. If you charge monthly or annually through scalable means, you are good to go.
If you are an enterprise companies with ARPA in the tens of thousands, closing customers with an external sales force, then it doesn’t have a module for that. Another model will be added soon that enables you do pick targets and reverse your growth through sales teams.
Key features of the SaaS model
- Right timeline: 36 months of forecasting with 3 annual summaries
- Flexible for actuals and forecasts: Actual and forecasts with sheets which combine your numbers into a combined P&L to the exact month magically
- Staff: Manual and automated forecasting of staff. For most staff you can decide the month your staff will join (Such as developers or a CFO) and the month they are terminated. Furthermore you can set a date and salary increase (such as post-series-A) and salaries will increase on that date, and adjusted for bonus and payroll taxes and benefits. For support, recruitment and channel sales staff, your staff requirement flexes as you scale automagically to your desired assumptions
- Expenses: Granular assumptions to rapidly forecast your G&A, S&M, R&D and CAPEX. COGS expenses have their own sheet for payments and hosting expenses
- Cohort approach to forecasting: A truly incredible cohort based forecasting model without the work. Input a few assumptions and you can get monthly cohorts for customers and all forms of your revenue, for both MRR and Bookings/Billings
- Annual and monthly revenue: Many SaaS companies offer a discount for purchasing one year upfront, whilst also allowing customers to pay monthly. The calculations to make this work are complicated because of renewal periods and differences between your accounting and your cash position. The model allows you to add simple assumptions of monthly vs annual customers and does all the heavy lifting with incredible accuracy. It’s as simple as adding your high-level assumptions and sitting back to look at the results
- 3 pricing packaged: Basic, Premium and Pro with granular assumptions for each. Each package is calculated individually
- Comprehensive marketing plan: Forecast your entire marketing plan across paid, organic, email, blog and social media channels with no heavy lifting. All the relationships between the channels are deeply integrated so social rebroadcasts will result in newsletter sign-ups
- Channel sales: An easy to use schedule to forecast customers from both CPL and CPA partners. Channel Sales staff scale to your number of leads they can handle each month
- 2 Detailed KPI sheets: Full dashboard of all your KPIs for both general operations and all your SaaS metrics
- Charts: Breadth of beautiful charts to graphically explain your business
- Full blown P&L: Detailed, logical P&L explaining your business model step by step
- Summary P&L: Easily copy and paste your summary P&L into your pitch deck
- Sources and uses: Get insight into your fundraise requirements. Three beautiful charts to copy paste into your pitch deck
Technical features of the SaaS model
- Fully integrated and automated model: Get insights from KPIs if your assumptions make sense so you look like a pro with a plan
- Standardised structure on each sheet: Every monthly calculation in the SaaS financial model starts in the same column which makes it easy to audit
- Consistent: Consistently colour coded cells for formulas, links and assumptions applying best practice from global, top-tier investment banks. All cells are perfectly aligned
- Comments: Comments on all assumptions so you know what to input and why
- No hard coding: No hard coded numbers in any formulas
- Open editing: Model is not locked, you are free to restructure as much as you like!
- Clear linking: Links to each sheet are always at the top of each sheet to track and understand where assumptions come from and what sheets are driving another one
- Separate actuals and forecasts in your P&L: Easily update your model monthly during your fundraise without fuss. Combine months by simply adding a date of your choice
- Dynamic year end: Set your year end at a month of your choosing. All annual adjustments are made automatically with powerful formulas
- Accounting: Cash and revenue accounting
- Forecast period: 36 months of forecasting with 12 month summaries for each forecast year
- Change assumptions every month: Make the SaaS financial model assumptions as simple or complicated as you like. Every assumption is mapped out on it’s own row. For example, any month you want to increase your Basic package price, simply change that month. If you want to keep your assumptions linear, the formulas support that decision automatically and by standard
The sheets in the model
|Formatting||Input your model start dates and basic formatting assumptions|
|P&L Forecast||Detailed forecast P&L of your startup. Output of all your assumptions|
|P&L Actual||This is the P&L of your actual numbers. Put in your actuals and they get represented in your combined P&L|
|P&L Combined||This combines the forecast and actual sheets together|
|P&L for Deck||This combines the summary forecast and actual sheets together for the first 12 months and for 3 years annual to insert in your pitch deck|
|KPI||A detailed summary of all your KPIs|
|Source and Use||Use this to figure out how much to raise and to present your ‘sources and use’ of money you raise in your ‘ask’ slide|
|Charts-General||Summary of charts from across sheets other than SaaS metrics|
|Charts-SaaS||Charts of Saas metrics. All the ones David Skok (Matrix) recommends are in it|
|Calcs – Monthly||Calculate the normal, monthly portion of your MRR/Bookings|
|Calcs – Annual||Calculate the annual, up-front payment portion of your MRR/Bookings|
|MRR & Cust Summary||A summary of your MRR and Customer calculations (The calculations in the monthly and annual sheets are long)|
|Pricing||Input your pricing assumptions for revenue. Pick from different business models|
|Expansion Revenue||Calculate the expansion revenue using either by an additional seats, or new modules basis|
|Staff||Forecasts for all staff (Other than customer support related staff), and all the related staff and G&A costs|
|Expense calcs||Calculates your customer care related and technology costs, which aren’t calculated directly in the Staff sheet|
|Professional Services||If you have professional services, calculate the cost and revenue. Can use if you want to have onboarding costs alternatively|
|D&A – Tax||Calculate your depreciation (there is no amortisation) and your tax simply|
|Marketing||Centralises the marketing data and applies conversion rates to create ‘registered users’ of your site (Which then buy)|
|Paid & organic||Organic growth and paid traffic to the site. Feeds to the traffic build in ‘Marketing’|
|Calculates the sign ups to your email database. Feeds to the traffic build in ‘Marketing’|
|Blog & Social||Calculates the traffic that comes from promotion activities by blogging and social media. Feeds to the traffic build in ‘Marketing’|
|Channel Sales||Calculates the leads from channel partners and supporting staff csots. Feeds to the traffic build in ‘Marketing’ under leads and in the staff costs|
|Benchmarks||Some publicly available SaaS metrics to use to benchmark your assumptions as an FYI|
Download it now
The SaaS Fundraising Model is available now for ONE WEEK at just $149. This is a monster discount from the usual price of $300.
Click to get fundraise ready immediately: